Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In the house

Yikes! I don't know if I'll ever be able to keep current on this blog. My poor children will have to hope I live long enough to recount their childhood to them since I can't keep up with picture and baby books either. Poor Tori doesn't even have a book yet. But, here's my update.

We moved into our new house on March 29th, during spring break. Jim and Arlene came up to help with the move. We were so lucky to have them. Arlene watched the kids while Mike and I stayed at the house with the movers. Jim came in town later in the week and promptly went grocery shopping and took over all the cooking for Easter weekend. Arlene was an unpacking MACHINE! By the time they left just about every box was unpacked and most of our art was hung on the walls. We bought a plasma tv and have a new couch ordered. Mike has been busy trimming all the bushes and working on the yards. We had the house painted and re-carpeted before we moved in. We had new back door installed earlier this week and also had all the rotted window sills replaced. Buying a pre-existing house is a lot of work! The wood floors need refinishing and so does our deck but that will come in time. Our next big project will be a kitchen remodel, probably next year. Then we'll finish the basement in about 5 years. The house is just beautiful and every time I'm in it I'm so happy we chose it. This is the house that Mike liked the very first day but I was unsure about because of the price and lack of backyard. We actually had a fight about it and Mike crumbled up the sheet of paper with the house info and threw it away. We never would have looked at it again except that they lowered the price and our agent called to tell me. I gave it a 2nd look and here we are.

The neighborhood has been wonderful. I already know more people on my street here than I knew on my old street in Keller. There are 5 kindergarteners within a few houses of us. The twins have had playdates regularly since we moved in. We went to a bbq at a neighbors our 2nd weekend here and were warmly welcomed. I feel in my heart this is the right place to be.

My 40th birthday was last week. Mike, the kids and I had dinner at a hibachi style Japanese steakhouse. My present is a trip to Vegas to meet up with my parents, sister, brother-in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins and family friends. I leave Saturday and can't wait. Arlene is coming in town again to help Mike with the kids. My other birthday surprise was a surprise visit from Pat. Mike managed to keep a secret and I didn't know he was coming until he walked in the door with Mike. We had a great visit. I will say that I ALMOST beat them at scrabble this time!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you have a blast in Vegas!!